Based in Scotland
Selecting A Remover – The Golden Rules
Taking shortcuts when planning such an important part of the moving process, the actual move itself, can end up causing you a lot of unnecessary stress and a lot more money than you bargained for!
Our strong advice is to better protect yourself by following the 5 Golden Rules listed below.
1. Never choose a remover just because they have quoted a low price
The removals industry is largely unregulated and attracts many ‘man and van’ type amateurs that operate in the black economy with untrained staff and illegal vehicles. That enables these operators to make profits on low prices but can be a recipe for move day disasters.
2. Choose a remover with a provable commitment to consumer protection
Always ask your remover to provide proof of what consumer protection measures they adhere to.Remember Scottish Guild members subscribe to the following measures:
Membership of The Removals Industry Ombudsman Scheme (RIOS)
Continual Quality Monitoring
A Code of Practice relating to their customers’ interests
Removals Industry Ombudsman approved inspection which includes insurance verification.
3. Never take it for granted that a remover with a professional looking website is reputable or competent
Remember the old saying ‘looks can be deceptive’!
4. Never take at face value any promises made to you over the telephone of by the remover.
Always ensure that any verbal promises are confirmed to you in writing.
5. Always obtain a written quotation including the remover’s terms and conditions of contract before you agree to anything.